This story was posted to the ILF group by Joy Evans it is an original article from “I Have a Name”. Is this true? Do shopping centers really profit off the poor. We would love to hear what the shopping centers have to say about this.

Go to our Facebook group to have your say!

Joy Evans ” Does anyone know if this is actually true for most shopping centres? Do car guards have to pay such a high % of their minuscule earnings or a daily fee as high as R50-R70 back to the centres!? ?”

I Have a Name

I’m happy to share my story…but please don’t take my picture – I don’t want to lose my job…

Joseph is a car guard at Northgate . His open helpful attitude with a smile made me want to know a little more about him.

“I came to Johannesburg from Botswana 2 years ago . There are not enough jobs back home . I wanted to make something of myself – to be the first in my family to rise up above our circumstances. I’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit . From when I was a little boy, I used to sell things like drinks and food at sports games, or lend my friends money and charge some interest.

I knew one person in Joburg. Three days before I arrived he told me that when I arrived I should catch a taxi to Cresta and to come the Spar because that is where he worked. I was overwhelmed when I got off at Park station – so many people , colours, smells, noises, and large buildings – I had never been in a city this big before. I finally found the right taxi and thankfully found my friend in Cresta .

Finding work was not easy. I worked for a construction company in Cosmo – but I have asthma and all the building dust aggravated it. ‘

I ask him what being a car guard is like

‘ It brings in enough money to support my family back home – I have a wife and two children in Botswana . I suppose my biggest wish would be to be able to get a drivers license- because with a license I can hopefully find a better job – that’s my goal.’

I ask him how much he makes and if he has to pay to work at Northgate

“We get 40% of what we earn from tips every day . We have to hand over the other 60%”
Joseph’s number is 0848744875

How you can help
1. Is anyone willing to help Joseph obtain his driver’s license?
2. Can anyone offer Joseph a better job?

( Joseph agreed to let me take a picture of him from the back to include with the story. He didn’t want to get in trouble for sharing his story publically)

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.