BEER BRAISED CORNED BEEF WITH A WHISKY MUSTARD GLAZE
1X Food Lover’s Market Corned Beef
3 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly squashed
1 large onion, sliced
1X bottle of lager
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp (15ml) whisky
1 Tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
A pinch of salt and ground black pepper
BRAISE THE CORNED BEEF
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place sliced onion and garlic cloves in the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Lay corned beef on top of onions, fat side up.
- Add pickling spices or spice packet.
- Pour beer into pot, adding enough water to just barely cover the corned beef.
- Bring to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover, and braise for 3 hours in the oven, flipping the corned beef halfway through the cooking time.
GLAZE AND SERVE
- When the corned beef is almost finished braising, combine glaze ingredients in a small skillet or saucepan. Heat until bubbling.
- When corned beef is braised, remove from oven and increase temperature to 425 degrees F. Remove corned beef from braising liquid and pat dry with paper towels. (Reserve braising liquid in pot.)
- Lightly score fat side with a sharp knife in a criss cross pattern. Brush corned beef with glaze. Place in a skillet or roasting pan and pour in about 1 cup of the braising liquid.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then coat the corned beef with a second layer of glaze. Continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes. Slice corned beef against the grain. If desired, strain braising liquid and spoon over sliced meat upon serving.
MAKE THE GLAZE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat until it begins to bubble. Remove from the heat.
Get these weekly offers from Food Lover’s Market
*Offers valid till 16 December 2018